Sunday, March 8, 2015

For Others

I've noticed that hoping for good in others can be misunderstood.  In the time before fulfillment, it can be observed as persistent judgment.  It can be an annoying interest in things not yet complete or redeemed.

For example, I may hope that God will bring babies to my married friends, but the grief of long-waiting should sometimes not be complicated by the consciousness of disappointing others also.  Or I might hope that a friend will have the faith to do a hard but good thing, like keeping silent about a concern or moving to a third world country to do ministry or continuing a friendship with someone who has hurt them.

Also it is useful for me to remember that even though I hope someone may live up to a certain potential, that does not mean that in reality they are likely to be up for it.

Hope must be guided by love.  When is it loving to reveal our ongoing hope to others?  When is it loving to hold up a high expectation, and when is it more loving to set the bar at a more typical level?

No comments:

Post a Comment