Sunday, May 31, 2015

"But for a Moment"

It's maybe not the most hopeful-sounding hope, but on dark hard days at the end of long hard months, it is one of the things that I hold onto.  It is one of the things that I think "hope" consistently refers to in the Bible.

This cannot last forever.  And the most I experience of all of this yucky temporary stuff is this lifetime.  The hard, the pain, the tears, the waiting, the not knowing how it will turn out - will be washed away and redeemed.  If not tomorrow, then at least at the end of our earth.  Jesus comes back, rules righteously, defeats the adversary, and re-creates the world with no death nor sorrow nor crying.

God has been able to sustain me and my hope these long months.  It is He who will sustain me each day as long as I must.  It is He who has promised that the End is good.  The End is more glorious than the sufferings are heavy.

"Therefore we 
do not 
lose heart. 
Even though our outward man is perishing, 
yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, 
is working for us 
a far more exceeding 
and eternal 
weight of glory, 
while we do not look at the things which are seen, 
but at the things which are not seen. 
For the things which are seen are temporary, 
but the things which are not seen are 
eternal." 
~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

As a friend reminded me this week,

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time 
are not worthy 
to be compared with the glory 
which shall be revealed in us. 
For the earnest expectation of the creation 
eagerly 
waits 
for the revealing of the sons of God." 
~ Romans 8:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment