Friday, January 2, 2015

Look to God

I don't really hope for God.  I have God.  He's right here with me in my waiting and expectation.  I know Him, His character and love for me.  That is the source of my hope.

A lot of the things I hope for, and encourage my friends to hope for, are things that seem unlikely.  Either they've been long-awaited and the hope grows weary.  Or the circumstances just appear so impossible, so against the hope.

In moments like that it is so tempting to give up hope.  Just quit the emotional exhaustion.  Agree with the way life is and resign yourself to it.

But the way I've found to renew hope is to look not at what I so yearningly desire to change, but to look to God.  I remember what He has done for me, how He has led me.  I remember Jesus dying on the cross, showing love in an undeniable way.  I remember His resurrection, defeating death.  I remember His promises.

And then, even if I can't put my heart into hope for a while, I can rest in the God who gives hope and fulfills hope, and that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment