Sunday, December 7, 2014

Again

I disagree, that it is insane to do the same thing over again and again, expecting different results.  I think this is very often what hope is.  Hope is not as simple as, "If I do A, the next thing that happens will be B."  It is rather, "If I do A, at some point B will happen - at least, B isn't impossible, and B is what I want to happen, and A does have some likelihood to contribute to it happening - and A is less likely to get in the way of it happening."  And sometimes, hope is doing A every moment until that moment when B arrives.

We humbly acknowledge that our idea of what constitutes "results" might be shortsighted. A parent sings the ABC's to their child every night for a week, and the child still doesn't know what letter comes after "c".  But sing the ABC's hundreds more times, and the child will know.  Is it insane to keep trying after that first week?

This course of action is especially hopeful, I think, when other people are involved.  The child must be waited on to learn.  God must be waited on to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment